There are many toxins that you could be exposed to on the job, from chemicals used to clean to materials found while working on a job site. Toxic exposure is a big problem because toxins can have a lasting negative impact on your body.
Even a small amount of toxin can impact your health negatively in some cases. While it's true that you come into contact with chemicals every day, it's also the reality that exposure can make you sick. Chemicals that are harmful may enter your body through ingestion, absorption through the skin or when you breathe.
The way you react to a chemical and toxin depends on:
- The type of chemical or toxin you were exposed to
- How much of the chemical you came into contact with
- How often you were exposed to the toxin
- How it entered the body
- How much of the toxin you were exposed to at one time
- Your overall health and well-being
What are some common toxins workers could come into contact with?
Some common toxins include:
- Carbon monoxide
These toxins can impact the respiratory system. Some of them can go on to affect the cardiovascular system, the renal system and the reproductive system. The nervous system, immune system, hepatic system and skin may also be impacted by toxins.
If you are exposed to toxins, it's important to get a medical checkup or to go to the emergency room, depending on the type of toxic exposure. Workers' compensation should be made available to you, so you don't have to worry about the cost of seeking care.